Thank You for Attending the 2019 CIC Summit!
April 8-9, 2019
The 2019 California Immunization Coalition Summit was held at the Riverside Convention Center in Riverside, California. The theme of the 2019 Summit was Today’s Vision, Tomorrow’s Reality and focused on utilizing our public health successes to engage with new partners, grow our Coalition network and educate and support our communities to make our collective vision for immunizations a reality for all Californians. For over twelve years, the CIC Summit has brought together partners and colleagues from throughout California and beyond to share ideas, highlight successes, and identify partnerships.
- Provide support and technical assistance to enhance existing education, communication, and outreach efforts
- Share successful strategies and best practices to strengthen local and statewide advocacy efforts
- Review new recommendations, issues and trends in immunizations and vaccine-preventable diseases
- Disseminate innovative approaches to promote and deliver immunizations across the lifespan
Please see below for updates on agenda, call for abstracts, hotel information, continuing education credits, and more.
Please see below for final Agenda, Immunization Champion Award recipient, continuing education credit information, and links to many of the presentations.
DRAFT CIC 2019 Summit – April 8-9, 2019
DRAFT 2019 Immunization Coordinators’ Working Meeting – April 10, 2019
CIC Immunization Leadership Awards:
The Ronald P. Bangasser, MD Immunization Leadership Award is presented at the California Immunization Coalition Summit to a practicing clinician who exemplifies the leadership, professionalism and commitment that Dr. Bangasser brought to his work in promoting immunizations. Dr. Bangasser served as Chair of the California Adult Immunization Coalition from 2003 to 2007 and served four years as a speaker for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/American Medical Association National Flu Vaccine Summit.
Mark Sawyer, MD, FAAP
Dr. Sawyer is the medical director of the UCSD San Diego Immunization Partnership, a contract with the San Diego County Agency for Health and Human Services to improve immunization delivery in San Diego. He is a current member of the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Infectious Diseases and a past member of both the FDA Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee and the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. Dr. Sawyer has engaged in projects to increase immunization coverage and to enhance communication with the community on vaccine hesitancy. He also developed a curriculum for primary care residents to teach elements of vaccine safety and vaccine safety communication. Mark is a Past President of CIC, has served as Board member of Every Child By Two and a long time leader in the San Diego Immunization Coalition.
We were honored to recognize Mark Sawyer for his substantial contributions to immunization advocacy and education, at the annual Summit luncheon.
2019 Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) Update
Mark Sawyer, MD, Professor of Clinical Pediatrics and Pediatric Infectious Disease Specialist, UCSDSchool of Medicine and Rady Children’s Hospital – San Diego
Health Advocacy Via Media
Dean Blumberg, MD, Pediatric Infectious Disease Specialist, UC Davis Medical Center
Effective Vaccine Communication Without Confrontation
Ken Hempstead, MD, Pediatrician, Kaiser Permanente
Sarah Royce, MD, MPH, Chief, California Department of Public Health, Immunization Branch
Peter Hotez, MD, PhD, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Children’s Hospital
Proactive Immunization: Opportunities Behind Contraindications and Vaccine Provider Collaborations
Jeff Goad, PharmD, MPH, Chair, Department of Pharmacy Practice Chapman University
What’s Next For California
Leah Russin, JD, Co-Founder, Vaccinate California
A-1 Prenatal Immunizations: Best Practices from Providers and FQHCs
- Rebeca Boyte, MAS, CLEC – California Department of Public Health
- Kelly Cardoza, PHN – Stanislaus County Department of Public Health
- Ann Walker, MPA, PHN – Kern County Public Health Services Department
- Kimberly Hernandez, MPH, CPH – Kern County Public Health Services Department
A-2 Information Immunization Systems: Where Have We Been and Where Are We Going?
- Noam Arzt, PhD, FHIMSS, FAMIA – HLN Consulting, LLC
- Steve Nickell, PhD and Michael S. Powell, MSc – California Department of Public Health
A-3 Innovations in Vaccination: Emergency Department and Pediatric Inpatient Setting
- Tanisha Jimenez, RN, BSN – Kaiser Permanente, Modesto
- Sarah Mahmood, MD and Dimpel Patle, MD – UC Irvine/Children’s Hospital Orange County
A-4 College Immunizations and Outbreaks: A Student Health Services Perspective
- Julienne DeGeyter – University of California, Riverside
- Robert Schechter, MD, California Department of Public Health
B-1 The Message Counts! Innovative Strategies to Improve HPV Coverage
- Kristin Burnett, MPH – Contra Costa Public Health Department
- Tammy Pilisuk, MPH – California Department of Public Health
B-2 Bridging the Divide Between EHRs and Assessing Immunization Coverage
- Noam Arzt, PhD, FHIMSS, FAMIA – HLN Consulting, LLC
- Cassandra Ott, MHS – San Diego Immunization Program
B-3 Leveraging Health Plan Partnerships to Improve Immunization Rates
B-4 Special Topics: Travel Shots and Pediatric Inpatient Immunizations
- Alexandra Mihalek, MD – Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Margaret Ryan, MD, MPH – US Department of Defense
Continuing Education Credit:
This live activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Institute for Medical Quality/California Medical Association’s CME Accreditation Standards through the joint sponsorship of PAC/LAC and the California Immunization Coalition. PAC/LAC takes responsibility for the content, quality and scientific integrity of this CME activity.
CIC Event Code of Conduct:
Past Summit Information:
Onward and Upward – 2018 Sacramento, CA
Delivering on the Promise of Vaccines – 2017 Riverside, CA
Celebrating Healthier Tomorrows – 2016 Sacramento, CA
Ready, Set, Vaccinate! – 2015 Riverside, California
Harnessing the Power of Community – 2014 Sacramento, California
Reaching Immunization Equity – 2013 Los Angeles, California
Immunizations A Lifetime Connection – 2011 Los Angeles, California
Preparing For Tomorrow – Taking Action Today – 2010 Sacramento, California
Strengthening Trust in Vaccines Emerging Issues and New Directions
Reaching New Audiences: Tweens and Teens
Expanding Our Horizons, Embracing Our Future
It’s Not Magic, It’s Immunizations!
Shots are Scary, Right? Addressing People’s Fears About Vaccines
Eliminating Health Disparities in Immunization Coverage for California