Education Hour- Archive
Addressing Vaccine Hesitancy: Intervening to Increase HPV Vaccine Uptake
Tuesday, December 11, 2018
Guest Speakers: Jennifer Sienko, MPH, Director, National HPV Roundtable, Communication and Public Engagement
Presentation may be downloaded for viewing here:
While vaccines to prevent Human Papillomavirus (HPV) infection have proven to be extremely effective both in protecting against HPV, as well as reducing the risk of cervical cancer caused by HPV strains, acceptance of this cancer-preventing vaccine has struggled to reach the same level of acceptance as other vaccines recommended at this age. Providers have a unique opportunity to address vaccine hesitancy and reinforce the decision to vaccinate.
Jennifer Sienko leads the HPV Roundtable work on HPV vaccine communication and public engagement through social media, and manages the digital footprint of both the HPV Roundtable and the newly-formed HPV Cancer Free Families Facebook group. Prior to her work with the National HPV Vaccination Roundtable, Jennifer was the special assistant to the President’s Cancer Panel where she helped research, write and pu blish several reports, including Accelerating HPV Vaccine Uptake: Urgency for Action to Prevent Cancer . She received her MPH from The George Washington University.
Wednesday, April 4, 2018 – 12:00 noon PT
Guest Speaker: Mark Sawyer, MD, FAAP
Presentation may be downloaded here: Shingles 2.0: What You Need To Know – April 4, 2018
PDF of presentation: Slides
Did you know that 1 in 3 adults will get shingles in their lifetime, but less than 30% of older adults get vaccinated? Join the California Immunization Coalition Education Hour to learn more about Herpes Zoster disease and epidemiology, new ACIP recommendations for vaccination, and messaging about the new Shingrix vaccine. Join us today at noon (PT) for updates on the new vaccine to protect those at risk for this disease.
Moderated by Meg Dorsey, RN, PHN and featuring guest speaker, Mark Sawyer, MD, FAAP
- Explain the clinical benefits and recommendations for administration of Shingrix, the new shingles vaccine
- Explain the differences between Shingrix and Zostavax vaccines
- Create and/or implement effective messaging to staff and patients on the benefits of the new shingles vaccine
Tuesday, December 5, 2017 – 12:00 noon PT
Our most webinar focused on the current Hepatitis A outbreaks in California and strategies for response and prevention.
- Describe Hepatitis A modes of transmission, morbidity and mortality
- Describe the unique characteristics of the current California outbreak
- Identify strategies that California counties have employed in response to this outbreak
- Identify strategies to increase Hep A vaccination
County of San Diego Health & Human Services Agency